In the mid 1940's a small group of coon hunters formed an organization that would give coon hunters and their hounds an opportunity to display their skills in events called Wild Coon Hunts. They called themselves the American Coon Hunters Association ... ACHA.
In 1985 ACHA reached it's peak, they hunted 635 dogs in DuQuion, Il. and every coon hunter in the country wanted to win "THE WORLD CHAMPIONSIP", the ACHA World Championship!
In the late 1980"s ACHA and AKC merged to form ACHA/AKC. The merger was a disappointment to both parties and was dissolved shortly after it was formed. Since that time ACHA and AKC have gone their separate ways and to this day remain two completely separate and independent registries.
The Directors of the American Coon Hunters Association pledge to do everything we can to maintain, improve and pass on the traditions and intergrity of this proud association.
• "ACHA" .... owned and governed by its membership.
• "ACHA" .... the "original coon hunting association".
• "ACHA" .... the "granddaddy" of all the "World Hunts".
• "ACHA" .... committed to providing the fairest, most affordable and most enjoyable hunt we can.
• "ACHA" .... where our goal is to promote the "coonhound".
• "ACHA" .... "where it all started" and we live by our creed.... "fair to all and partial to none!".
2014 will be ACHA's 67th consecutive World Hunt, the longest running "World Hunt" in the sport of coon hunting.
Hope to see you there!